SailNet Community - View Single Post - Pros and cons of steel sailboats
View Single Post
Old 07-20-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough
Re: Pros and cons of steel sailboats

jak:
That's an interesting ands handsome YMT design. But here are the questions I ask myself when I study that design:

Of the boats YMT lists as inspirations, i.e. long, light, narrow boats, how many are steel?
What do the boats he list all have in common? Light weight hull construction, even RAGTIME.

What is the one thing you need to make a long, narrow, lght boat go to weather? Stiffness from a low VCG. This is hard to do with a steel boat. Every extra ounce in the shell is an ounce out of the ballast. This is excatly the reason that long, light, narrow boats are usually built with lightweight shells.

There most probably are several very good reasons you do not see long, light, narrow boats built from steel.

But I could be wrong. You make a list of your own existing examples to prove me wrong.

Not sure YMT's design was ever built. I've never seen one. Does anyone know?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook