SailNet Community - View Single Post - Did I make a mistake in reporting a claim to BoatUS?
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2013
Learning to sail

aaronwindward is on a distinguished road
Re: Did I make a mistake in reporting a claim to BoatUS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
Why don't you post some photos of the damage? It does not sound like it's not damaged that bad. Just guessing by your posts, it does seem you see things much worse/bigger then some of us. Not trying to sound harsh, really.
I'll post them later once I find my mini-USB cable, wherever it is.

Basically, there's damage directly on the stem, consisting of a big concentric-circles collision split, and nearby cracking. There's also delamination on the hull-deck joint, where there's now a subtle gap between the hull and deck. The yard says it seems localized. The yard quotes it as 15 hours to deal with the stem damage, and 10 hours to deal with the hull-deck joint. Most of the quote goes towards grinding and applying new layup; the rest is prep and finishing. It comes out to about $3600, at a labor rate of $107/hour, including $717 in materials, and tax and fees.

I had originally thought it would be closer to $1000, because I didn't notice the hull-deck joint damage, and I didn't realize how extensive the collision point damage was until it was on the hard.

It's major damage, no doubt about it; but as far as I'm concerned, it's completely fixable to a like-new state, for far less than it would cost to get a new boat with the upgrades I've added to this one. And it's still considerably less expensive than the eventual full re-rig is going to be.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook