SailNet Community - View Single Post - Possible Trade for a boat...
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2013

rob_d is on a distinguished road
Possible Trade for a boat...

Okay, so here it is. I found a guy with a Catalina 25 pop top. I went and looked at it today. Appears to be in decent condition. current owner traded her for an old car he had...the couple was getting more and more into cars than boats. has a title. he needed something to live on, so a trade was made. he didnt get a survey. boat appears to be in okay shape, but i wont really know until either i have one done myself or i can contact the previous owners. okay, so heres the skinny...he wants a harley. i have a harley that i was considering selling so i could buy a boat. now, otiginally i had in mind all of the things i wanted in a boat and i think i have been shooting for the stars thinking im going to get what i want as my first boat. yes, now it seems silly. i am wondering a few things and i wanted everyones feedback.
A) Is this a decent boat to learn on?
B) Should i do a trade to get me into a boat, learn to sail/liveaboard and then upgrade when im ready for a bigger/better boat anf actually ready to sail to Mexico?
C) Am i a bit nutty for even considering a tdade?
D) Would i be screwing myself over if i got this boat, or would she be good to learn on?

Heres the ad
1985 catalina 25 Pop-Top

Its a swing keel, pop top, etc. Found similar listings in the US from 2k to 8k.

Anyway, I'd love the feedback since everyone here has more knowledge than i do and have been a great sounding board!

Fyi, if there are spelling errors, I've done this on my tablet and it doesn't really love this website, so I do apologize!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook