SailNet Community - View Single Post - Tablet PC for Display
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2007

christyleigh is on a distinguished road
Wink 'Marine' hardware for marine duty

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie
My PC screen is completely unreadable in bright sunlight. Are the Toughbooks different or is that why the Raymarine screens are so expensive (other than the "marine" part! ????
Cam - While I fully agree the 'marine' name tag is $$ abused there is a big difference when it comes to use at the helm. I don't remember what the 'standard #' is that is stamped on 'outside' electronics cases but it keeps the water out of the cases and connections. When I self delivered my NC from Annapolis to RI I picked up a stand alone Raymarine chartplotter to have at the helm (paper also of course). I simply tied it to a stay at the helm and ran the DC through a protected window. Going up L.I. Sound against the wind into steep tide/opposing wind generated waves at 6 kts it was raining salt water from the rigging for 6 hours. I wished the sunlight viewable little screen had windshield wipers because I had to keep wiping off the salt water to see it. That was over a year ago with no problems. Try that with a PC screen
Wickford/Narragansett Bay RI

Last edited by christyleigh; 01-23-2007 at 10:39 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook