SailNet Community - View Single Post - Looking for Lithium house bank experiences
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2013

Zanshin is on a distinguished road
Re: Looking for Lithium house bank experiences

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim R. View Post
Check with Mainesail at Compass Marine...
Thanks for that hint. I've always enjoyed reading and learning from Mainesail's articles and hope to see some data on Lithium batteries from him soon.
I have a big (960Ah) 24V bank and a smaller 12V bank and might start by switching over the 12V bank to Lithium as it has a separate charger which I can set to a different charging profile from the main AGM bank. This past season I was on board for 5 months and docked twice but occasionally had to run the genset for hours on end t to get the main bank charged to 100% (both for equalization and because I was havig problems with my Xantrex battery monitor) and that was frustrating - with a lithium bank I can charge even the big bank in 2 hours (11Kw genset and 120A/24V charging) which is quite tempting indeed.
The big marine Lithium battery manufacturers (Mastervolt, Victron - both Dutch) have integrated battery monitoring systems with temperature and voltage sensor for each cell so I am not very worried about fires or runaway thermal reactions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook