SailNet Community - View Single Post - First time singlehanding, bad things happen, the sound of breaking fiberglass, etc
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road
Re: First time singlehanding, bad things happen, the sound of breaking fiberglass, et

The specific situation of docking against pilings is always difficult to assess. Many of the non-floating piers/docks will have spanning boards for boats to lie against. With no boards, all kinds of bad things can happen. It's questionable to even attempt it singlehanded even in good conditions. One thing to think about is keeping everything (solar panels, etc.) inside the gunwale so there is nothing to catch while rubbing up against high docks. Some boats have so much paraphernalia hanging off them that getting anywhere close to a dock can be a disaster. Bow rails overhang and as such are vulnerable. I came close to bending mine a couple of years ago in exactly the same situation, trying to get into a fuel dock.