SailNet Community - View Single Post - Possible Trade for a boat...
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2013

sailpower is on a distinguished road
Re: Possible Trade for a boat...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_d
Anyway, I'd love the feedback since everyone here has more knowledge than i do and have been a great sounding board!
DO NOT ASSUME THAT. For example, there are people who post here about how to buy a boat who themselves have never bought a boat. Same with cruising “offshore”, etc.

Internet forums are good for getting ideas and seeing what others have done but like all free advice, worth what you paid for it.

Opinions while possibly useful, are not knowledge.

There is always a market for a Catalina depending on condition. Lots of people like them which is great when you go to resell. Is the 25 pop top suitable for where you will be using it? My free opinion (see above) is that the 25 PT is an inland or very near coastal sailboat.

You can learn a lot by sailing this or any number of other boats in this size range. If you are starting from zero then the brand doesn't matter a whole lot. Sailing is not rocket science. Check the For Sale sites and see what they are asking and make some comparisons. As others have said, the motor is important.

Are there sales tax savings if you trade vs sell then buy? What is the value of having no selling expenses on the sale of the bike by trading it. Consider the savings of buying locally. Etc., etc.

Good luck.

Last edited by sailpower; 07-21-2013 at 02:55 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook