SailNet Community - View Single Post - Hoisting an inflatable dinghy
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2013

MarkSailor is on a distinguished road
Hoisting an inflatable dinghy

I bought an inflatable dinghy and am trying to figure out the best way to lift it with the davits on the back of my Catalina 320. (The davits were installed by the prior owner, and I have never really used them.)

The davits are about 4' apart on the stern, and the dinghy is a 10' air-floor dinghy from West. I installed 2 stainless eyebolts on the transom to attach a lifting bridle at the stern of the dinghy. But at the bow I have a choice of a single D-ring mounted horizontally on the outside of the tube all the way forward, or two D-rings mounted vertically on the outside of the tubes a little further back, but before they get to the full width of the dinghy. (The two D-rings look like they are meant to attach a towing bridle.)

Do most folks lift the dinghy by a bridle attached to the existing D-rings? Or does anyone sell separate lifting rings that glue on to the tubes? I know that the dinghy itself isn't that much weight, but lifting by the vertical D-rings seems like it puts the stress on the attachment in the wrong direction. Also, I wonder about lifting from 2 points on the dinghy that are so much farther apart than the davits. How does anyone else lift their inflatable dinghy?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook