SailNet Community - View Single Post - Are ALL Sellers LYING MORONIC DOUCHBAGS??
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2013

arvicola-amphibius is on a distinguished road
Re: Are ALL Sellers LYING MORONIC DOUCHBAGS??

I have owned more boats than cars. Some bought privately and some via a broker.
When dealing with an unknown broker, I tell them straight up how much I will spend and warn them that if I find any undisclosed defect or if the boat stinks, I will walk away and not deal with them ever again. I do my own preliminary survey, which is based on experience and a general 'feel' for how clean and tidy the boat is.
As a result of this, I bought four (including my current boat) and sold my last three boats through the one broker. Sadly she passed away a few years ago, but she was honest and never wasted my time on any junk. Further, if in her opinion a boat was unsafe, she would not market it and if it was daggy she would give the seller a reality check on likely market value. So not all brokers are scumbags.

When looking around for good boats, it pays to concentrate on areas where real sailors sail; where the weather is not always kind but they go out anyway. e.g. Tasmania in Australia has more really fine boats per capita than anywhere else locally and I suspect that the same could be said in the USA for areas like Maine. The boats will often be properly-equipped, more seaworthy and better maintained than the marina queens found in warmer climes.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook