SailNet Community - View Single Post - Southern Cross 31 Compression Post/Mast Step
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2013

kjones is on a distinguished road
Southern Cross 31 Compression Post/Mast Step

Good evening all,

I'm considering purchasing an SC31 for extending offshore cruising. I looked at one (owner finished) over the weekend that seems to be in good shape in general; however, there was one area that I found concerning. If you all have a moment to give your collective expert opinions on the matter it would be greatly appreciated.

There is slight indention in the deck at the mast and corresponding protrusion in the headliner. It seems that the compression post (which is in good shape) is only supporting half of the mast. The bolt to starboard of the cluster of four bolts is the "facing forward" photo is the port side aft bolt of the mast step plate. The bolt in the "facing aft" picture is the port side forward bolt of the mast step plate. It seems that the only thing supporting the port side of the mast is the thin strip of bulkhead running across the headline to the compression post that is supporting starboard side of the mast.

1) Is this enough of a red flag to preclude moving forward with an offer survey and sea trial?

2) If not, could this issue be fixed by pulling the mast and sistering an additional compression post to the existing one?

Pictures of the mast step and headliner can be found here:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1165138...K689duXlJ65Sg#

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook