SailNet Community - View Single Post - What Is A Boat Really Worth?
View Single Post
Old 07-22-2013
sailing soon

mark2gmtrans is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to mark2gmtrans
Re: What Is A Boat Really Worth?

Shawn, you may have it partly right, and it may also have to do with the fact that some people are just utterly clueless about cleanliness. About five years ago some friends and I were out on a boat near Galveston, a couple we had met near Kemah earlier in the day showed up and invited us aboard to see their boat, I was shocked, I mean literally shocked. They had one of those 50+ foot ketches with pretty much everything on it, and it was an absolute pigsty. They had that huge boat and had to move things off the settee for me and my gf to be able to sit down. We declined an invitation to dine with them that evening for very obvious reasons.

If I were a commissioned sales representative I would have to tell them that I could not represent the boat if it was not clean and in squared away condition as far as the things left on board. I mean poor sales guy has to go on the boat and move the junk to take the photos, and obviously some of them move nothing. I know all about restoration projects that got abandoned half way through, and other things that leave a big mess, but a boat that sold new for $200K or better and is only eight years old should not look like a garbage disposal ate a laundry hamper and aisle 7 at West Marine and then puked it up in the boat.