SailNet Community - View Single Post - Open letter to yachtdesigners of the world
View Single Post
Old 07-22-2013

Grona hisse is on a distinguished road
Re: Open letter to yachtdesigners of the world

To deniceO30 If you read it once more slowly you might understand the rant, and get the general picture of a safe boat that is easy to handle.
To Jeff H Why roly motion? As you very well know there are different types of motion behavior depending on the design. There is no such thing as a good, hobby-horsing motion. Most of todayís boats fall under motion category stress and diabetes. I believe that we were talking FLD Family cruiser for long distances. They come closer to reflecting out of date dogma rather than reflecting the science behind yacht design. Sorry to have to tell you that the science of todayís only reflect the racing rules. Has it ever occurred to you that actually were a Fastnet race tragedy? Something classified as a giant dhingy is not what Iím looking for. The Vikings designed that type a long time agoo, and they were good for real speed.
To Jon Eisberg It is the yacht designer, that creates building specification, and so forth. It is up to him to check, that the yard actually follow up on his specification, and isnít trying to save money through weaker constructions. There is usually a binding contract between the parties. They donít want it because it is too expensive. With todayís global economy it only needs one yard, that can produce a long serie of a yacht. Picture windows, what does that has to do with safety thinking?
To LinekinBayCD ďI chartered 33' & 35' Scanmars circa 1980Ē, good for you. If you had bought one you would by now know, that the fastening of the keel and the GRP specification, has a lot more to desire.
To TDW It seems to me that there are more nutrients needed, both minerals and vitamins.
To Bob Perry I know you design for food, but a bottle of bubbles wonít hurt you.As I see it there is a lot of conservatism among the yacht designers of the world. Everyone tries to copy a selling idea into his own project. It is now time to think beyond the Viking freighter. A yacht that is safe with a hobby-horsing that is gentle to all of the crew. The problem for you is that you need to find a yard with ultra-modern manufacturing technique.
To Julie More Iím positive to your thinking but it is not only a question of the cockpit area. Many injuries is due to the fact of foul weather trousers is missing in the pantry. And this has to do with yacht motions.
To Chall03 We have already established that steel is out of the question due to its weight.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook