SailNet Community - View Single Post - Powerboaters Are Funny
View Single Post
Old 07-22-2013

CaribDream is on a distinguished road
I am both a sailor and a powerboater. I have to agree with "mad machine" here. It's so easy for someone to have limited knowledge and still operate a powerboat while sailing almost forces a little more education.

That being said, after all these years I am really getting prejudice with jet skis. When I see one now, I immediately think "moron is about to do something stupid" and I prepare for evasive action. It's probably wrong to think that negatively but I admit I do. And kids... I am so sick of seeing kids on these things. By far the most dangerous on my ranking list.

Next worse for me are parents/adults letting far too young kids drive jet skis. I saw an older lady with a little kid sitting in front of her. I was turning to port to go into a channel. Seeing them coming I hugged the nav marker leaving about 200 yards of open water for them to pass me on my starboard side to continue up the lake. As they came closer it was apparent they were about to do something stupid. I slowed to an almost stop. Thank goodness I did as they passed me on my port side in the 5 feet between me and the marker and then cut hard in front across my bow to continue going straight, not into the channel. Um, I think it would be wise to TAKE THE CONTROL FROM YOUR CHILD at that point. They continued oblivious.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook