SailNet Community - View Single Post - Choose dinghy to return to sailing
View Single Post
Old 07-22-2013

Rocha is on a distinguished road
Choose dinghy to return to sailing

Hello,

I learned to sail when I was about 16 or 17, on an old wooden Vaurien, not much of technical lessons appart from a couple of boat part names, and off you go. Eventually I sailed the Vaurien alone on calm river waters under light wind, and it was a ball. I realized I had a lot more fun by myself than I did sharing the boat, so I bought a Laser. Must have sailed the Laser only about 30 hours at the most since back then getting to the marina just by itself was a chore, they had no infrastructures so it made getting dry and storing stuff not pleasant. I eventually sold the Laser to fund buying a motorcycle. Back then I must have been about 85kg.

Fast forward to today and Iīm feeling like I would enjoy giving this another go. Iīve got a more pleasant place to keep a boat now, inside and dry, and I can get there in 30 minutes from home. Iīm 32 years old, 183cm tall and 100kg (6 foot tall and 220pounds).

The easiest for me to buy would be another Laser on account of it being the most common 1 person dinghy around here, but I worry Iīd be too heavy for it. I havenīt got the need to win races or be seriously competitive.

Also, Iīm clueless about what would be a better boat for me, would a Finn be too tricky? Itīll be sailed on the ocean, and I will probably rig it and get it on the water by myself. Simple is better, but I want it to be entertaining, not too slow, and rewarding. Would be awesome if it wasnīt completely uncomfortable, but that may be asking too much.

Thanks a lot for your suggestions.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook