SailNet Community - View Single Post - What Is A Boat Really Worth?
View Single Post
Old 07-22-2013
sailing soon

mark2gmtrans is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to mark2gmtrans
Re: What Is A Boat Really Worth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieMor View Post
Those boats with pictures of clutter make me wonder how serious the seller really is. I've seen pictures that tell me the boat has been poorly maintained yet the listing price is at the high end. I imagine the seller walking into the broker's office thinking, "I wonder how much it's really worth? Can I make a profit on it?" And if the broker accepts the seller's value as the listing price...

When I referred to serious sellers above, this is one of the scenarios I was thinking about. I've seen some here criticize what they called "tire kickers" as wasting the time of the seller. But the seller who is testing the market wastes the time of the buyer too. Maybe they should be called "buyer kickers."

"Why are they selling?" For the buyer, the answer to this can be a great piece of information to determine just how serious the seller is.
I recently went over 1000 miles round trip to look at a boat that was called "turnkey, ready for cruising" in the ad, and yet when I got there it was anything but, and when I confronted the owner with the obvious defects he called me a tire kicker, I wanted to kick him in the tires. I was soooo angry, but it is part of the process and I was also able to visit some friends. Next time I will have the seller take a video camera on board.