SailNet Community - View Single Post - Possible Trade for a boat...
View Single Post
Old 07-22-2013

mrwoodboat is on a distinguished road
Re: Possible Trade for a boat...

Having owned a Catalina 22, a Catalina 25 and Catalina 27 and now a Capri 16, I am familiar with Catalina boats- My experience was that I loved my 22 and sailed it a LOT- I rigged it so I could control everything from the cockpit and it was fine for both my wife and I to weekend on.
My 25 lived in saltwater and I had a lot of maintance to keep after- generally, I did not like the way it sailed, found the cockpit very uncomfortable and the boat did not trim as well as I expected. We sailed it for about 5 yrs and sold it.
Our 27 was a nice little boat for inland waters and while I have read of people going offshore in one, I do not think I would want to venture too far from the shelf in a 27- below was comfortable for a 27' boat and for my wife and I and two young kids, it served us well but we missed blue water so sold her to purchase a Morgan 44.
As my sons hit their teens, both became heavily involved with sports and other pursuits so our weekends to the coast became less and less frequent till we decided to sell the boat.
Now that my middle son is a senior and his brother a year behind him, they both wanted to sail again and explore other lakes around us- they wanted something they could easily tow and launch on their own so we found a very nice little Capri 16 that they can use wherever the wish.
It all boils down to what do you realistically expect your use to be- but I would not trade any of my motorcycles for a Catalina 25, maybe a 27 but.....
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook