SailNet Community - View Single Post - east coast provisioning stops
View Single Post
Old 07-22-2013

TomMaine is on a distinguished road
Re: east coast provisioning stops

A friend(I've never met) of a friend was cruising toward Maine last week. They're from the UK and on a 2 or 3 year cruise around the Atlantic, in a 34' boat.

We've connected via email briefly, as they headed our way(having mail delivered to our home).

Upon landing in Maine, they need to provision the boat, do laundry, all conveniently, from an anchorage. They assumed Portland would be the simple first stop for the above. Reasonable assumption, right?

NO! I asked several friends sailing and living in the Portland Maine area, and no one could give some solid local knowledge to allow them to; 1-anchor, 2-go ashore nearby, 3-walk to grocery, 4-do their laundry.

The best we could do was get 2 to 3 of their requirements(and that was stretching it).

When I meet them, I'll be very curious what their sources and systems are. I think we all have our systems we use if we cruise the coast or farther.

I understand the desire to anchor. You're out for a few years, you just don't want to spend money on a mooring every time you need supplies. And I understand not wanting to schlep for miles. Even today on a coast that is familiar to us, we find ourselves in food desert areas(gas station mini marts) when we go ashore.

There is a lot of good info out there, but will there ever be the complete source of our coast for the visiting sailor? I don't think it's possible, but it's worth trying to improve.

My best advice on Portland, was Boothbay.

'I'd have written a shorter post, but I didn't have the time', Mark Twain.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook