SailNet Community - View Single Post - New monohull sailor- Catalina 22
View Single Post
Old 07-23-2013

TJC45 is on a distinguished road
Re: New monohull sailor- Catalina 22

After years of Hobie sailing you are moving to the other end of the speed spectrum. I too am an aging Hobie sailor. As age comes on sometimes the need for speed is replaced by the need to pee! But, regardless of how old i become, I view life that my best days are yet to come!!! That, and I'd rather be over the hill than buried under it!

I recently read a blog of a couple who sail a Catalina 22. They love the boat. Sail it mostly every weekend. Anchor out, swim, lunch, sometimes overnight. Adventures every weekend! They also maintain a wall of shame. On the wall exists pictures of boats they have passed while on the bay. In that they don't get to pass a lot of boats, just their way of saying "Take that!" On each picture is a message stamped on from a postal type stamp it says "You were passed by a Catalina 22!"

Obviously the Cat 22 is not a high performance boat. But with Portsmouth rating of right around 243 it's in the same neighborhood as similar sized boats. And compared to sailing a Hobie you'll be high and dry.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook