SailNet Community - View Single Post - Need to rig my main halyard
View Single Post
Old 07-23-2013

cat27 is on a distinguished road
Need to rig my main halyard

I'm relatively new to sailboat ownership and haven't dealt with this problem before.

I'm in a share on Catalina 27. Unfortunately the owner was out the other day and lost the main halyard to the top of the mast. I went up on the spinnaker halyard + bos'n chair to take a look and ending up pulling the main halyard out of (what I assume is a pulley) at the top, so now the halyard completely off the mast. How do I fix this?

The problem with the spinnaker halyard + bos'n chair is our spinnaker line becomes a metal wire (and thus can't go around our winch) when I'm still about 2-3 ft from the top of the mast. I'm not quite gutsy enough to try kneeling/standing on the bos'n chair.

I have a rock climbing harness that I've actually never used before. I thought maybe I could give that a try going up. I presume this would get me a few feet higher as I'd clip the halyard lower on my body than where the bos'n chair clips.

Otherwise, I have a roller furler for my jib. I'm new to this system, but would my jib have a halyard as well. Perhaps I could use this to go up.

Once I get to the top, I assume it's just a pulley on the stern side of the mast that I have to loop the line around?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook