SailNet Community - View Single Post - Eighty-year old wooden full keel boat beats new "Interesting Boats" in Transpac
View Single Post
Old 07-23-2013

jephotog is on a distinguished road
Re: Eighty-year old wooden full keel boat beats new "Interesting Boats" in Transpac

To me this results scream to me a need for a rating change for Dorade.

If you look at the results of the TP52s: After 8 days of racing the split between the fastest and slowest TP52 is under 17 minutes. This gives you an idea of how competitive this event is. My rough estimate is .15% speed difference between the two.

The owner of Dorade had bought the boat and did a total refit to start winning and racing this boat. There is also a list of the owners accomplishments which are impressive and many, to which he can add 2013 transpac winner.

Her rating is probably based on previous performances against other 1930s or maybe some of the fancy new fangled boats of the 1940s or 50s. After her most recent refit I imagine she no longer has her original engine, standing and running rigging, sails or even bottom paint. Its possible even some of her underwater lines might have been changed up a bit. My guess is she is probably sporting some water ballast and canting keel.

I'd be interested to see how the original Dorade would do against the current one. I'd also be more impressed if the current winner beat all other boats against a fleet of similar boats like in a TP52 or even against a fleet of other Dorades.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook