SailNet Community - View Single Post - Eighty-year old wooden full keel boat beats new "Interesting Boats" in Transpac
View Single Post
Old 07-23-2013

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Re: Eighty-year old wooden full keel boat beats new "Interesting Boats" in Transpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswilson29 View Post
Dorade beat the Beneateau 47.7 and the Jeanneau 44 on ACTUAL time, and corrected time, so an old wooden yawl with a full keel can beat a condo boat, boat to boat, without any correction.

That was also one of my points in the Hobie 33 thread that was lost - it beat the much larger, modern (supposedly better and faster) boat show boats, and almost the entire fleet, in actual time.
I have loved Dorade since I was kid making pilgrimages to the shed at Minnifords in the dead of winter to stare up at her, Stormy Weather and StormVogel as they sat nestled in for the winter. It thrills me no end to see her win again. It really shows what a first rate skipper and crew can do given enough funds and a decent boat.

But I also see no point in distorting what happened. After all the truth of the matter is the most extreme, 53 foot, stripped out race boat of her era, undenignably the fastest race boat of her size on the planet for a nearly three year period, which won pretty much every major race of that time, in a no money spared campaign, beat two 44 foot, high volume production racer-cruisers in a long distance reaching race. And from that we are supposed to conclude what general lesson?

And if you look at Dorade, she is an exercise in light weight construction and low wetted surface for her day. I know people like to argue with me when I say this but if you look at Dorade closely, between her cut away forefoot and raked rudder post she was by no definition in that era a full keel. In that time, she was seen as a fin keel with attached rudder, but whatever you choose to call her keel it was one of those designs that was a missing link helping to lead the way towards the radical fin keels of today.

So while her win is impressive, recognize it for a wonderful feat of seamanship and boat handling that it was, but don't try to make it more than it is. If you want a far comparison compare Dorades' elapsed time to a modern boat of her length or better yet a modern boat her displacement. Let me know your conclusions.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies

Last edited by Jeff_H; 07-24-2013 at 09:25 AM. Reason: spelling and syntax
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook