SailNet Community - View Single Post - Pros and cons of steel sailboats
View Single Post
Old 07-24-2013

MastUndSchotbruch is on a distinguished road
Re: Pros and cons of steel sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
Jon:
Believe it or not the deck design of the Norseman was one of those breakfast restaurant napkin sketches I did when having my first meeting with the client. I think I am the very first designer to use pickle forks to hide deck contours and I see them all the time today on mega yachts. I also agree that it is probably the absolute best looking CC deck on any boat under 50'. Sometimes you hit a home run.

I ran into Bill Dixon at the Ta Yang engineering office. He was drawing away and next to his drawing was my drawing of the N447 deck. I was pissed off at him anyway because he had snagged the Taswel line( because he gave Ta Yang an exclusive) so I said to him." What are you doing Dixon?" He said, "I'm making the deck look more like the Norseman deck." He was honest. I said, "Come on Dixon. We are going to lunch. I'll teach you how to eat too." That is pretty much verbatim. He was hopeless with chopsticks. Food everywhere. Disgusting.
This is a great thread, have read every single post but entirely in lurking mode.

But now I have to ask: what is a 'pickle fork?' Sorry for my ignorance.