SailNet Community - View Single Post - OMG i need liveaboard soon.
View Single Post
Old 07-24-2013

Philzy3985 is on a distinguished road
Re: OMG i need liveaboard soon.

You should change your mind, as this is a very bad option for you.

It isn't cheap. And zero marina's in Southern California will let you go about your plan if you show them "I'm doing this because it's the cheapest thing I can think of."

HERE, I CAN THINK OF SOMETHING CHEAPER:
By a VW Vanagon, a couple grand. Sleep in it during the day at parks or a beach parking lot, and drive it around at night so you don't get ticketed for sleeping in it. Get a $30/month gym membership to take showers and get ready at.

There's your cheapest option.

The only feasible BOAT option I see, that would help you, is to buy a cabin cruiser (more bang for your buck, cheaper, just as much for sale out there, easier to drive/move) but even so, I would bet that you can't live on it anywhere. Every marina is up to capacity with people in your shoes, plus those who WANT (versus NEED) to liveaboard and they don't allow more liveaboards.

You could try somewhere shady, Wilmington/San Pedro, they might let you.. But plan to have $800 cash a month for the slip rental, power, and averaged expenses to save for bottom cleaning, and things breaking down (Guaranteed, as the boat has not been lived on, the daily stress will break things quickly)

Surveying a boat is necessary for insurance - that's expensive and takes a couple days out of your schedule.

Insurance might look at you and decline your application because you want to liveaboard, it's going to be tough to find insurance that's okay with your actions.

Oh, and to apply for a slip you need the boat, a recent survey and insurance. To get the boat and insurance you need a slip to fall into place by the same day - see the problem?

If you buy one off a person on craigslist who says "Slip may be transferable" then beware, they better be cool with the dockmaster because most marina's having waiting lists that people paid deposits to be on and are hoping to bump someone like mr. craigslist out the second he sells his boat and let someone on the list in...that isn't you.

Whatever you do, don't by a sailboat and think this plan will pan out.