Old 07-24-2013
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Re: Barrington Yacht Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post
Thanks...

BTDT though...

Their Membership chair replied to me and told me that they would love to have new members, but in order for me to apply, I would need to be sponsored by a member to submit an application. Because I have never been to the BYC, (well, I've seen the parking lot) I don't know who their members are...

Elsewhere in these forums I have seen people lament that interest in boating seems to be on the decline. I believe that part of the reason is that there is no clear roadmap for outsiders to find their way into many aspects of the boating community.

A friend of mine is a lifetime member of another yacht club in Massachusetts. He told me that the way that he gained access was that he knocked on the door one day, and the person that answered the door invited him in. Perhaps I should try this?

I have been invited to join several clubs in the Boston area, but, at this time, I don't want to keep my boat there.
Many clubs are actively interested in recruiting members that will enhance their operations/activities (and of course, help defray their overhead). I suggest you go on the Club's web site and get the email address of the the race fleet captain or the cruising fleet captain, depending upon which activity you are more interested in, and send him or her a note expressing your interest and giving a bit of your background. I suspect you will be invited to the Club for a visit and then perhaps invited to participate in a few activities whereby other members will get a chance to meet you and, possibly, your family. With that, I suspect an invitation to join the Club might be forthcoming. We have found the members of most clubs to be very welcoming.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook