SailNet Community - View Single Post - GS 39 Fuel Tank Vent Line
View Single Post
Old 07-24-2013

camndon is on a distinguished road
Re: GS 39 Fuel Tank Vent Line

M? (I'm guessing, from your email address),

You can probably guess that we don't use the boat that much when I tell you that I haven't refueled since my last post about fuel probably sitting in the new vent line. This is how I ran the hose that I used to take the place of the copper tubing: I drilled a 3/4 in. hole thru the sole, just inbd. of the stbd. settee (under the fwd. drawer) and another at the aft end of the settee (under the aft drawer). The hose goes from the transom fitting (after adding a hose barb) fwd, then inbd. thru a gap below the wall (under the instrument panel area), then along the hull and alongside the engine into the bilge area. From there it goes up thru the aft hole in the sole to the fwd. and then to the tank. I don't remember the length so you would have to measure (and over-estimate...). To lead the hose, though, I had to work from front to back, mainly because of the difficulty of getting the hose through the aftermost hole--can't reach it from below so I had to run it down and then grab it from below. Helps to have help...

You can see why fuel forced into the vent won't drain back into the tank-- I'm trying to think of a way to purge the vent line before fueling. Any ideas?

Cam Foster
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook