SailNet Community - View Single Post - Battery Charging Problems
View Single Post
Old 07-24-2013

csharp56 is on a distinguished road
Re: Battery Charging Problems

Help! I am still having Battery problems. I know the quickest way to check to see if my alternator is putting out the correct voltage and amps would be to take it out and bring it to be tested, however the bolts are rusted and I can't get them off. I ran a series of tests with and without the engine running. I ran a cumulative amp draw test from everything off ( except the Link 10 Monitor) which read -1.3 to everything such as all running, anchor, steaming, cabin lights VHF, stereo Gps, 3 Nav instr., and autopilot and it topped out at -4.2 with house water pump added, it topped out at -6.5. With the engine running at 10000 rpms my meter begin with 23amps and running the same test dropped down to 17.9 and with the water pump to 14.8. Before I began the test my 2 house batteries were at 13.1 V. after the test they were both at 12.5V. My engine battery was at 13.2v and after the test it read 12.5V. I put a meter on the alternator and got a reading of 13.7. While the Engine is running and both my house and engine batteries are switched to the on position at my battery terminal switch, I get readings of 13.2 on the engine battery and 13.0 on both my house batteries. After running the engine for approximately 20 minutes to perform the tesets, I shut down the engine. After approximately 10minutes my link 10 meter was reading 13.5 V/1.7 Amps. The problem is after 2-3 engine starts and the returning to the boat 2-3 days later my batteries are drawn to between 12.5(engine) and 11.7 (house) and engine will not turn over. Also I have cleaned all of my terminals and connectors to the batteriers, alternator and the ground to the engine. I have not cleaned as of yet the electrical to the solenoid. Is there another way to test my alternator without taking it out??
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook