SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bombay Clipper 31
View Single Post
Old 07-24-2013
Freedom 39

FarCry is on a distinguished road
Re: Bombay Clipper 31

Well it depends..... Water we could go a long time but we used a lot of salt water for most things and rinsed with just a little of the precious fresh water. You can put a few 5 gallon water jugs on the lifelines. I used to store two 5 gallon water jugs down in the giant lazerette in case we ran out.

You can do the same with fuel. Originally my boat had a 15hp Yanmar that sipped between a 1/4 and 1/3 gallon per hour. I was a sailor and sailed a lot of the time. I filled the tank up once a year, whether it needed it or not!!! Just before selling Far Cry I installed a 20hp Yanmar and fuel burn would have gone up proportionally to match increased horsepower. I had solar so never needed to run the engine to charge batteries. If you are set up similarly I would suspect you would need water much more often then you needed fuel. 6 miles is just an hour each way under power. Plan accordingly and I wouldn't think you'd have a problem. If tankage were an issue there is a lot of space that could be utilized for the installation of bladder tanks. You could always get creative with awnings to be used for rain collection too.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to FarCry For This Useful Post:
contracorriente (07-31-2013)