SailNet Community - View Single Post - Barrington Yacht Club
View Single Post
Old 07-24-2013

miatapaul is on a distinguished road
Re: Barrington Yacht Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post
Again, my request is if anyone here is a member of the club. Reading the post above, you can see that it would be easy to submit an application (if it comes to that) if I were;
  • well written, and easy to read (WTF? It's a Yacht Club, not a Book Club)
  • a guest of a member, or former member of the club (in which case I would not be posting here).

I have written the Membership Committee Chair, and he stated that I need to be invited by a member of the club. I have also read their newsletter, where they have decreased the time that you need to be a member from 3 years to 1 "in order to broaden their reach in seeking out the most qualified prospective members."

It seems to me to be a catch 22. In order to join the club, you have to know someone who is in the club to invite you as their guest.

To me, the most logical way to meet people in the club, would be to attend an event at the club... which I can't do because I am not a member, nor do I know any members. Therefore, my post here...

Please PM me if you can help
Most clubs I have seen have "open house" type events. You get to go and enjoy a little BBQ and a soda and meet the crowd and see if you are interested in joining. But as Groucho Marx said "I would never be a member of any club that would let me join." or something like that. I have not heard any clubs that are that strict anymore, but then again it is Rhode Island so who knows. If it is a "working" club make sure you say you enjoy painting or cutting the grass that is usually a get in free pass!

I think the easiest way is to try to crew on someone's race boat. That would be a good way to meet a lot of members. Perhaps you could introduce yourself and ask to have your name put on a bulletin board for crew positions?

Last edited by miatapaul; 07-24-2013 at 11:26 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook