SailNet Community - View Single Post - What Is A Boat Really Worth?
View Single Post
Old 07-25-2013

JulieMor is on a distinguished road
Re: What Is A Boat Really Worth?

George? Am I being stalked? Are you and Bubblehead one and the same? Cuz this is awfully familiar!

Whatever... Let me once again walk you through the facts. Maybe this time they will stick so you won't have to obsess about this any longer (doubtful).

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeB View Post
Why is it such a shock that an owner would place a higher value on his boat than a potential buyer?
I have no idea. I'm not shocked. Why are you?

Quote:
Besides, why would an owner low ball his asking price knowing full well that there may be a reduction resulting from a negotiation?
Again, I have no idea. Please, enlighten me!

Quote:
I have never heard of a boat owner who has placed an advertisement but did not (seriously) want to sell. They do what I do, look at the listings and compare those boats to theirs. They talk to brokers just like you.
I've already explained this. Next!

Quote:
You have kicked a lot of tires out there, you are trending the asking prices as well as the settling prices.
To date we have seen exactly four boats. Yes, a whole four boats. And two of those the broker wanted to show us to give us an idea of what's out there. So we've really only seen two boats we thought we'd be interested in. And we'll see a few more before we buy. From where I come from, it's called being a smart buyer. Apparently, where you come from it's called a tire kicker because you're supposed to buy the first boat you look at.

Quote:
You have your spreadsheet.
There it is again, that spreadsheet thing. Be honest, why the obsession? I'm really beginning to wonder.

Quote:
You know the market as well as anyone. Find a boat you like and put an offer on it for what it is worth to you and negotiate from there.
That's what we're doing. But we'll to need to see more than two boats before we jump into buying. Or are we just being unreasonable?

Quote:
You are getting a little hung up on your own “ego”. You want the perfect boat and at a below market price so you can feel good about besting someone.
Where do you get this stuff? Give up the mind reading. It's not working.

Quote:
If you see a price that you think is way above “market value” and you don’t want to make an offer – wait the guy out an make another offer on the boat a year later.
Wait for a year when there's boats that could be bought now? But you said in other posts to hurry up and buy a boat already! You really need to be more consistent.

Quote:
Are you really want him to begin negotiating with you before you have even seen the boat?
No, of course not. That would be stupid. How did you arrive at that nutty conclusion?

Quote:
How does he know that you are serious?
If you travel a couple thousand miles to see the boat, I'd say the average seller would know you're not doing that just for grins. Though Mark did say he got called a tire kicker for doing the same thing.

Quote:
You could be just exercising him to give yourself leverage on another negotiation.
That makes no sense at all. If you want to waste your time doing that, by all means, go ahead! We've got better things to do.

To the rest of you guys, I don't think you've really read everything I wrote. I know the longer a post, the less likely it will be read in its entirety. So any attempt to explain in detail the facts would most likely be a waste of time.

All I can tell you is the assumptions many of you have made are just that, assumptions. If you knew all the facts, you wouldn't have arrived at the conclusions you have.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook