SailNet Community - View Single Post - What Is A Boat Really Worth?
View Single Post
Old 07-25-2013

miatapaul is on a distinguished road
Re: What Is A Boat Really Worth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeB View Post
I have never heard of a boat owner who has placed an advertisement but did not (seriously) want to sell. They do what I do, look at the listings and compare those boats to theirs. They talk to brokers just like you.
I have to disagree with you here. I think there are lots of "well if I can get this much for my boat, I can take advantage of the down market and get a bigger/better boat." But they are not factoring in the fact that there boat has fallen as well. I don't think that is being serious about selling. Then there is the "honey I posted an add and showed the boat to 10 people in the last 4 years, it is not my fault it is a down market, lets go sailing since we can't sell her." They intentionally give a high price, so it will not sell. An example is a boat I mentioned in another thread, a 1973 Carter 33 asking $95,000. Now there is no way they are serious about selling, unless they are totally delusional. I even replied assuming it was a typo, as the last one I saw on Craigslist was around 10,000 granted it needed work but was there for months before it sold, or they stopped posting it.

The thing I don't understand are the brokers that take these guys on as clients. It costs them money to advertize the boat, and take photos and show the boat, yet they must realize it will not sell for years if ever. I know one local broker that if the boat does not sell the first year, and you don't make a substantial drop in price he will stop listing it. So perhaps they are hoping reality will set in and they drop the price dramatically.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook