SailNet Community - View Single Post - New monohull sailor- Catalina 22
View Single Post
Old 07-25-2013
Fortuitous

chip is on a distinguished road
Re: New monohull sailor- Catalina 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJC45 View Post
I recently read a blog of a couple who sail a Catalina 22. They love the boat. Sail it mostly every weekend. Anchor out, swim, lunch, sometimes overnight. Adventures every weekend! They also maintain a wall of shame. On the wall exists pictures of boats they have passed while on the bay. In that they don't get to pass a lot of boats, just their way of saying "Take that!" On each picture is a message stamped on from a postal type stamp it says "You were passed by a Catalina 22!"
Hey, I know those guys.

Polar Bear: 6HP is more than enough for a Catalina 22. Anything bigger would just be wasting gas and weighing down your transom, and you won't go any faster. If you're really worried you could get a high-thrust prop, which is more appropriate for how a sailboat works, but even that is probably unnecessary on a lake where you're not likely to get big waves.

I've never heard of anyone getting a survey for a $2000 boat. I think you should just look for the things that Sal Paradise mentioned. If you don't know what you're doing at all (as I didn't when I bought mine), try to find a more experienced sailor in your area who can go look at it with you. There used to be a thread around here for that sort of thing, although I don't know if it's fallen out of use or not, but it worked great for me.