SailNet Community - View Single Post - How to choose a daysailer/dinghy
View Single Post
Old 07-25-2013
Legend in my own mind.

SHNOOL is on a distinguished road
Re: How to choose a daysailer/dinghy

If money isn't a real big object then a Capri 142 expo is easy, doesn't require stays, and will take a nice small outboard (or trolling motor). it's a centerboard boat, so it'll flip easy enough.

That's a pretty easy boat to learn on though, and not real complicated to rig, but still reasonably quick in the water.

A LIDO 14 is a more sophisticated step up from that (as is the Capri 14.2 and Precision 15).

But if you are leaving the boat at the house for others to use (who also have not sailed) then it's REALLY hard to beat a sunfish. They are practically disposable, but tough as nails and take ZERO effort to learn to rig/sail. There is a reason why they are so popular. The motor part isn't doable in one, but then a light paddle works wonders.

I know you put age in there as the reason for no Hobbie, and OK... the sunfish likely isn't gonna be any better on that part. But I submit that if the Hobie is no good, then most centerboard boats won't be either (think righting a capsized boat). You may want to think very small keelboat, or perhaps a cat boat.

Just for the record... my brother bought his first boat at the age of 18, he purchased it off of a 65 year old man, it was a sunfish. The reason for selling? It was too slow. 10 years later this same older gentleman was selling his Hobie 18, because he was taking up sailboards. Last I heard at 80 he was buying a Weta Tri-maran... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ng3mWcp_N6E Again cause it was "too slow."

Goes to show, you are only as old as you feel.
Hull #68 S2 7.9 on our little landlocked puddle, Lake Wallenpaupack, PA, it's cheap, trailerable, and paid for.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook