SailNet Community - View Single Post - books on basic sailing..
View Single Post
Old 07-25-2013
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Re: books on basic sailing..

When I took ASA101 the instructor Fed Exed the course book as soon as I enrolled so I could read it prior to attending the weekend course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswilson29 View Post

Take all the Coast Guard Auxiliary Courses you can in your area. In fact, if you can take the full U.S.C.G. "Boating Skills and Seamanship" course, you will learn all you need to know to get started.
Twice a year I teach the USCGA Sailing Skills and Seamanship course. It includes all the chapters in BSS but with four chapters on sailing skills. Sailors would probably do better looking for that course in their area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswilson29 View Post
Sailing itself is not that difficult to master. What gets folks into trouble is basic safe boating practices, navigation, seamanship, proper preparation, and decision-making, some of which you learn through experience and some of which you can acquire through study.
Agree wholeheartedly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook