SailNet Community - View Single Post - Seeking recommendations / advice
View Single Post
Old 07-25-2013

BarryL is on a distinguished road
Re: Seeking recommendations / advice

Hey,

Your requirements are pretty basic and, IMHO, are easily met by most production type boats. If you plan on having guests more often, or you just want the space I would look at boats like:
Beneteau 400
Hunter 40.5
Catalina 380
Hunter 380

If you won't be having guests that often and / or want something smaller and cheaper, the Catalina 36, Hunter 36, Beneteau 361 type boats would be a good choice.

For me personally I would prefer something newer and more modern design than something older and more primitive. I would insist on features like walk through or open transom, separate shower stall, etc. I would probably want a furling mainsail, generator with heat and a/c and the rest of the comforts.

Good luck,
Barry

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave6330 View Post
OK - I started a thread a couple of weeks back called "full keel" and got some pretty good input from a lot of really great people.

Based on some of that input (and an ongoing conversation I'm having with a broker) I'll pose another question (fully understanding the subjective nature of both the question and the probable answers):

If one wanted to purchase a 35-40 foot boat for under $100K that will -

1) offer acceptably comfortable accommodations for a couple living aboard with space for occational guests
2) be used primarilly for coastal cruising
3) occasionally venture out into more challenging conditions (crossing the Gulf of Alaska)
4) reasonably stand up over time
5) occupy a midpoint between the lightweight racing boats and the super heavy cruisers.

What would be your recommendations and why?

Bottom Line: We are still evaluating our options and covet the recommendations of more informed and experienced sailors.
Mt. Sinai, NY

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to BarryL For This Useful Post:
dave6330 (07-25-2013)