SailNet Community - View Single Post - coronado 35
Thread: coronado 35
View Single Post
Old 07-25-2013

anniepodell@gmail.com is on a distinguished road
Re: coronado 35

I have had the Coronado 35 cc for 3 1/2 years now and have spent most of my money fixing the previous owner's shabby work. The survey demonstrated that overall the boat was in very good condition. Because the previous owner (s) moved our main stays in, it caused a blessing-in-disguise problem.

We were on a starboard tack for several hours with some heavy wind, the three stays on starboard side pulled up (not completely). That being said, the surprise was how solid and good the wood looked (to our insurance's dismay!). We have since moved the stays back to where they belong only this time they are reinforced with chain plates that are very strong (designed by our rigger, I can't tell you how many "experts" told us where and how to put the chain plates, and none of them were correct). Our rigger is a God-sent, he has inspected all of the through-holes, wiring, hoses, vents...well you name it. And, yes, that is where we see what the other owners have used or changed. It is worth the extra to make the wiring and hoses marine quality rather than Home Depot quality.

People who come aboard are so surprised at the room we are afforded, "sailors" are more surprised that the boat isn't more clunky under sail. Because of the room, we have fitted the boat with a nice refrigerator, air conditioner/heater, and microwave. We have a 45" flat screen in the salon and a 20" in aft cabin. Since my husband doesn't sail, our boat serves two purposes: sailing fun for me and weekend retreats.

But I would have about $10k extra in my pocket if I had made sure to get a top notch, common-sense rigger to fix or oversee the work I needed. Our rigger is 30+ years in the business, he has his own store-front at the marina, and he came with excellent recommendations from more than marine stores. A costly lesson! But, I have learned so much in 3 years!

The only thing I miss is having a lower free board, closer to the water's edge that adds to the sensation and excitement.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook