SailNet Community - View Single Post - Need answer to something I've always Wondered About
View Single Post
Old 07-25-2013
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Re: Need answer to something I've always Wondered About

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
By the time you actually feel the pressure in your lungs, you've long passed the critical point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchee View Post
From my own experience holding my breath from the surface (so no danger of lung damage,) I feel quite a bit of pressure just from swimming, working (scraping the prop, for example,) and just using up my oxygen. Think about that "bursting" feeling you have at the end of a long breath hold while swimming. I'm not at all convinced that I'd notice a dangerous pressure change before it's too late. Those 60 people in 2008 probably didn't either.
Hang on there just a cotton-pickin' minute.. We're not (and I'm most certainly not!) talking about scuba diving - we're talking about cleaning someone's hull. I don't know many people at all whose boats draw more than around 8ft - and if they do, they can certainly afford to pay a professional diver to do it.

The posts I've made here are based solely on my own personal experience and not in any significant depth of water. As long as you're not stupid about this, yes, you simply, routinely, exhale when (frequently) coming up to the surface.. from 6 feet down. If you doubt me, go try it in a swimming pool.

Last edited by Classic30; 07-25-2013 at 09:33 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook