SailNet Community - View Single Post - Seeking recommendations / advice
View Single Post
Old 07-25-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough
Re: Seeking recommendations / advice

Capsize ratio is stupid. (within a range) Cover my ass.
Motion comfort is stupid.
Numbers are stupid.
You just don't have the background, i.e. education, to interprit the numbers.
Do you know how long I have worked to understand and FEEL the numbers?

Stay with accepted shapes and accepted proportions and you should get acceptable results.

Let's look at Ballast/ Displ:

Are you sure that is the correct ballast number?
Where is the ballast?
What is the ballast.
Is the VCG of the ballast high or low?
What is the real Displ?
Is that at "out of the box" displ?
Is that at "full load" Displ?

I understand that you guys want to be really informed about this stuff but I'm not convinced you can evaluate the numbers correctly. I worry that you fret over them.

You know, in Rod Johnson's study on documented roll overs he proved quite convincingly that the boats with the best "numbers" were the ones more likely to roll over. Go figure.

Tell you a story:
My doctor wanted a CT scan on my chest. Said he saw "something" Might be cancer.
I had the CT scan. They said it would be a week before I had the results. Doctor said he wa going on vacation in five days. So here I sit for three weeks wondering if I had cancer? No way. I said I''l drive to the CT place and pick them up and bring them to you so we can get this resolved before you go on vacation. Doctor said fine.

I picked up the big, manilla envelope of CT scans and headed of to my doctor's office. I got stuck at a stop light. I thought, hell, I might as well look at the scans.

Holy jumpin' Jeehosaphat! I looked at the big "x-rays" and to my eye it looked like I was riddled with cancer. I had lumps and clumps growing out of every crevice in my lungs. I'm going to die. Tomorrow. Early.

When I got to the doctor's office and had my appointment he said I was fine.

Julie nailed it. Sail the boat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please also visit my new web site
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook