SailNet Community - View Single Post - Flying a Symmetrical Like an Asymmetrical
View Single Post
Old 07-25-2013

MastUndSchotbruch is on a distinguished road
Re: Flying a Symmetrical Like an Asymmetrical

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5hortBu5 View Post
Hey Folks,

I've just been given a fairly suitably sized symmetrical spinnaker for my boat. I don't have a pole or any hardware for flying a symmetrical right, and I'm rocking a pretty draconian budget, so I'm working on VERY little disposable cash (yeah, yeah, get rid of the boat :P)

Anyway, I whipped up a jury rig last night to fly the symmetrical like an asym, basically tying one clew to a bow cleat, and sheeting the other end. It worked out surprisingly well, and I'm pretty sure my boat's never gone faster. Sure, there was a mess of curl at the luff, but there was a LOT of square footage filled up.

So now, with that successful experiment out of the way, I'm considering rigging this in a *slightly* more legitimate manner, and I was wondering if there is any kind of information about this practice, or if I'm just completely bugnuts. I mean, it seems kind of daft to fly an symmetrical like this, but man, I can't argue with the results.

Any tips? References? Guides?
Glad it worked for you.

But why not just fly it as a symmetrical spi, just without the boom? Even though I have a spi boom with all its paraphernalia, I do this some times to avoid the complexity of the boom. You won't be pointing very high but if you are running or on a broad reach, it will sure speed you up!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook