Join Date: Jul 2013
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Re: Help me find my next boat 24-29 foot
Thanks all for the Great replies!!!
so far I have found quite a bit of boats in the 25-30 range with inboard diesels for $5 and less. One was reduced from $9k to $3k for quick sale. There are a lot of boats in this size range on the hard, neglected, and with willing sellers.
our criteria has changed though per the master and commander (wife)
1. Has to be Trailerable with a trailer as we have lots of land and it makes no sense to pay to store. Buying a trailer separately is way to hard or expensive.
2. Has to have a mast that can be stepped solo or with no more than two others. She does not want to spend money on crane fees
3. still have an enclosed head/porta potti
4. Engine: we are ok with either inboard or outboard. Most boats that fit the above criteria come with an outboard. Inboard diesel is still my top choice but I will consider outboards
5. Cost in the $10K range but we will spend around $5K range or we just keep what we have. We have looked at a lot of boats in this range up to 30ft. Some in quite nice shape and some full of water (though the owner said they were in great shape). I have noticed prices keep going down and down. Most lowball offers that I have given are taken which lets me know lots of sellers are looking to sell cheap in this range.
I found a nice PY26 for $4500 but it has a keel stepped mast and I don't think I could step that with a friend. Even has a trailer.
I looked at a few hunter 25.5's and really liked them though both were on the hard and neglected. The nicer of the two had a soggy deck sole and full of water.
I even looked at an O'day 23 that was day and night different from the catalina 22
It had a much larger feel to it and a small enclosed head. I liked the stub keel and centerboard too. It was a large feeling 23' foot boat. I wish I could find a 25 in my area though.
I just ordered quite a few books from amazon to help.
The trailer sailer
twenty affordable sailboats to take you anywhere
twnty small sailboat to take you anywhere
inspecting the aging sailboat
The Sailor's Book of Small Cruising Sailboats: Reviews and Comparisons of 360 Boats Under 26 Feet
This search for the next "one" may take some time I'm starting to think