SailNet Community - View Single Post - Boatlife Lifeseal
View Single Post
Old 07-26-2013

Shinook is on a distinguished road
Re: Boatlife Lifeseal

Thanks for the advice folks.

The fitting is a rope clutch mounted on a wood mounting plate bolted to the deck. I mounted two earlier this week using butyl tape and both leaked, which is the first time I've had that problem using butyl tape.

My assumption was that the angle of the deck prevented the fitting from getting proper compression on the tape in certain areas, resulting in the leak. The clutch has six bolt holes, so that's a lot of holes in the deck and several were leaking profusely in a rainstorm we had. In an attempt to stem the leaks as quick as possible (it's been wet here, so I wanted to fix it fast so the caulk had enough time to dry), I ran into the store at our marina and grabbed what I thought was Lifecaulk, but got Lifeseal instead. It didn't hit me until it was too late that it was basically silicon, which I hate since I swear at the PO up and down for using silicon on everything.

Turns out, when I went to remove and bed #2, I realized my silly mistake. I tightened all the bolts individually, but failed to go over them again after all six had been tightened. All but one or two were loose, after tightening them I've not observed any leaks on either fitting.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook