SailNet Community - View Single Post - What Is A Boat Really Worth?
View Single Post
Old 07-26-2013

JulieMor is on a distinguished road
Re: What Is A Boat Really Worth?

I realize the thread has strayed off topic but I was hoping to clear things up.

Up to now I have believed that if you make an offer on a boat you must put down a 10% deposit. The broker went through the whole process with us and that's what I took away from it.

As I read the frequently given advice to "just make an offer," I started to wonder if I understood the process correctly. Believing that you need to put that 10% earnest money down, it made no sense to me to start making offers until I at least saw some boats. And putting down 10% for every boat we saw made ZERO sense!

Stepping aboard a Sabre 34 and a C&C 37+ a few weeks ago told me those pictures we saw on Yachtworld weren't very representative of the real thing. So physically seeing the boat became mandatory, for us.

The broker showed us a sold Ericson 34 because he thought the Ericson line might fit what we were looking for. We both liked it but wanted a bit more room and the Ericson 38 entered the scene. This was four weeks ago.

From there we found an Ericson 38 in MD that really interested me. But I knew I had to see it. So I've been patiently waiting for my SO to get some time work off so we can.

Two weeks after the first showing, we inspected a newly listed E38 that was priced at the high end, and we'd have to pour thousands into it. No sense in making an offer unless we came back from our trip empty handed.

BTW, we learned when YW pictures are recent, the real boat can actually look like the pictures. But if the pictures are dated...

As far as the "over analyzing" thing? I'm retired. I'm just occupying time until we leave for the coast.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook