SailNet Community - View Single Post - Full Keel
Thread: Full Keel
View Single Post
Old 07-26-2013
Splashed

JomsViking is on a distinguished road
Re: Full Keel

Trekka in which John Guzwell circumnavigated in the 1950's (at the time the smallest boat to circumnavigate) was a fin keel spade rudder design by Jack Laurent Giles. Both before, and not least, since thousands of spade rudders have circumnavigated, and I honestly believe Colin Archer and other naval architects of yore would have used spade rudders had the technology at the time permitted it.

I love old boats, but the bad copies of Colin Archer boats in GRP, Steel etc make me cringe especially when they're heavier than the originals.

/Joms

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
Every boat I've owned has had a spade, on shafts or on pintles & gudgeons - I've never had a lick of trouble with any of them.

The boats I've sailed with attached rudders were all much harder to steer than the spades. I've never sailed a boat with a skeg hung rudder.

I do know that I prefer a tiller and I absolutely HATE hydraulic steering - lifeless & insensitive as well as prone to leaks. I can't imagine why anyone would install it if they had ANY other option.

A spade with a tiller is stone axe technology - just what you want for steering a boat IMHO.