SailNet Community - View Single Post - What Is A Boat Really Worth?
View Single Post
Old 07-26-2013
sailing soon

mark2gmtrans is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to mark2gmtrans
Re: What Is A Boat Really Worth?

Julie, please do not let the ones who seem to think you need to rush to spend thousands of dollars of YOUR money to purchase a boat before you know enough about it to make a good decision influence you.

I have been in the business of buying and selling things for a long time, I have done it full time and part time for most of my adult life and it is about 25% of my annual income, and I can say without a doubt, I will look at whatever number of boats I choose to look at before I spend MY money, and you know why I can do this, just like you can, because it is bloody well my time and my money and I will do with it as I please.

I have sold more vehicles than I can even remember, and quite a few boats, and other things, and guess what? I know that not everyone who looks is going to buy, I can only sell each piece one time, and then it is gone, so I do not worry about it, I treat every single person as though that person were the very last one who would look, being the one that would purchase the thing I am selling. I never underestimate a person's ability to choose whether or not to buy based on how they liked the thing I am selling as well as how they liked me. I am not always patient in everything I do, but man I sure work hard to be patient with those who potentially may give me a chunk of their money.

I have told you about how I have looked at boats where the photos were old and the boat was a wreck when I got to see it. It happens all the time, in fact yesterday I was looking at several boats on yachtworld and a couple of other sites and saw some with photos that were quite obviously taken in the late 60's when the boat was new, seeing this I called the broker and asked to have some recent photos taken, he said the seller could not provide them. I thanked him for his time and informed him that I was no longer interested, you see I know that if the seller cannot be bothered to give me a true representation of the vessel, he has not taken care of it.

I also will not consider a boat where all of the photos were taken with a fisheye lense, this distorts the true size and condition of the vessel. If the seller will not provide clear, undistorted photos, I do not have the time anymore to go look at the boat. One trip that took an entire weekend of my time was enough to break me of doing those things. I have to weigh the value of my time, and three days to me is equal to about $2k in missed earnings, I am not going to waste my time with those who will not provide me with the information I need. I have shown my financials to a couple of brokers I am dealing with to show that I am well qualified, and I have talked in depth with them about what I am looking for in a vessel, they know I am serious, and I know it. Outside of the buyer, the seller, and the intermediaries like brokers and bankers no one else need be convinced of your seriousness, and a lot of the ones squawking the most are probably the same ones trying to skin someone on a used boat, after all, everyone knows it is still a buyers market and it is not going to get any better for sellers any time soon. Good thing we are shopping to buy and not trying to sell.
JulieMor (07-26-2013)