SailNet Community - View Single Post - Full Keel
Thread: Full Keel
View Single Post
Old 07-26-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough
Re: Full Keel

"also most polyester hulls do not get the pox...better known as blisters."

That's not the way I see it. Vinylester replaced polyester resin to avoid getting the blisters. Polyester resin was the problem. Today some builders will use polyester resin above the DWL and Vinylester resin below to avoid blisters. But a well built boat today will be all vinylester resin. It's more expensive than polyester resin and stronger. There are also today "modified polyester" resins that are far better than the old straight polyester resins. They are also cheaper than viylester resins. You can do a skin coat on a hull with vinylester resin then switch to modified polyester resin to save money but there is some labor involved bwteen the two coats. Vinylester resin is the first choice if you want to avoid the cost of epoxy resin.

I didn't want to get this response wrong. I felt the original post was quite misleading. I called Wtsrely Marine in Costa Mesa, one of if not the very best yard on the west coast and I talked to Steve, one of the owners. Westerly has built several of my boats. If this is not good enough for you I suggest calling a true expert on resins, Dennis at REVCHEM.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to bobperry For This Useful Post:
SloopJonB (07-26-2013)