SailNet Community - View Single Post - How to choose a daysailer/dinghy
View Single Post
Old 07-26-2013

TJC45 is on a distinguished road
Re: How to choose a daysailer/dinghy

Can someone tell me why Hobie 16s are uncomfortable? This is the second thread in two days where that comment has been made. I've been sailing Hobies for almost 30 years. I can think of at least a dozen adjectives to describe these fast boats. Uncomfortable not one of them!

That said, I can sail a Hobie 16 off a lee shore any day of the week in any condition. And, yes, it's not a close winded boat. Add in boat traffic, obstructions current etc etc, doesn't matter. Bring it! I'll sail my Hobie 16 into your marina and put it in whatever slip you want. Am i saying this to brag? No!!! Far from it!!! There are sailors out there who can sail rings around me. The point: Learn boat handling! I had to learn these things because, sailing this boat, there was no Plan B!. It is either do it, or don't! Learning how to do it has worked out a lot better than elimating sailing locations because they weren't perfect.

Any sailboat can be sailed out from a lee shore, around obstructions, and thru locks. it could even be done without a motor. Don't let the location determine the boat. Sailing with these conditions, with practice, will make your friend an expert in how to handle them in no time.

Because of your friend's non athletic 60ish build, add Flying Scot to the list. Very comfortable, fast, and responsive. ( I learned sailing under sail into crowded marinas on Flying Scots)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook