SailNet Community - View Single Post - Largest Semi-Trailerable Sailboat ???
View Single Post
Old 07-26-2013

dem45133 is on a distinguished road
Re: Largest Semi-Trailerable Sailboat ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal Paradise View Post
Gawd I'd hate to think of rigging and launching those beasts for a day sail.
I do not know about others, but we're not really looking at day sails... but vacation sails at whatever body of water we choose, and summer slips where ever we choose on Lake Erie is the plan.

Wondering about what it would take to sail say from just north of Detroit MI on Lake Huron, up and around and down Lake Michigan to Muskegon. We have friends in between Muskegon and Detriot on I96 where we could leave the truck and trailer for a month or whatever. Who knows yet... just wondering out loud... maybe simply be too far to do in four weeks and not be too much like work. Its a ways around there.

BTW, the replacement Farymann S30 (V twin) is home now. 900 hrs is all it has... and was a running takeout due to bad hull mounts... he decided to re-power with more horse in his 38 ft 20000 lb sail and since that would have required the same work on the engine bed as a repair would need, he decided now was the time (well two years ago). The engine pushed it 30 miles the day before it was pulled. Its been stored inside. Its now home getting ready to bench it up and test run... may or may not refresh it... depends on oil seepage... if it needs seals I'll open it up and refresh it. It'll almost triple the hp over the single cylinder Farymann that's in this 30 ft Seafarer now. Exactly what I want, hull speed at 1/2 rpm... lost of extra thrust when needed.

I am "collecting" Farymann engines BTW if any of you have any you'd think of parting with. S30, R30, or P22. The V twins. Complete is preferred, but will considier others. PM me.

Dave
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook