SailNet Community - View Single Post - Please Tell Me You Have Sailed A Golden Wave 42 -RHP Design
View Single Post
Old 07-27-2013

CheckedOutRob is on a distinguished road
Re: Please Tell Me You Have Sailed A Golden Wave 42 -RHP Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
I'll stay out of this. Keep in mind that low initial stability rewards the owner with a comfortable motion. High initial stability results in a quick and uncomfortable motion.
It sounds kind of counter intuitive but it is reality. The PNW salmon trollers (not trawlers) Stayed out all day and fished. The rolled a lot but they rolled slowly. This was the more comfortable boat to work on. So, when you say "I want a stiff boat" and then you say, "I want a comfortable motion" those two things do not go hand in hand. Part of the success of the Valiant 40 was it's relatively low initial stability and comfortable motion.
And. Drum roll. ...No more replys needed! Thank you for your succinct reply to my query on stability. This ties it up neatly for me. It answers my question about a "tender" boat in re. the GW42. I never would have thought this is how the stability function bears out. But now it makes sense. It was for me counter-intuitive. I was under the impression "stiff" was the antecedant to comfort. I have been schooled.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook