SailNet Community - View Single Post - Miss Liberty vs the landlubbing haters!
View Single Post
Old 07-27-2013

captmetatron is on a distinguished road
Re: Miss Liberty vs the landlubbing haters!

I've used that pulling the mast technique sort of, we swung a weighted boom out to heel my buddie's 32 Morgan off a submerged sand bar in Clearwater inlet (when we were first learning the waters, ICW is great for powerboaters, not so much for sail, although there are some friendly old salts around always willing to help a fellow mariner... Unfortunately Libby doesn't have a mast anymore, she lost it in Debby .... I've had a string of particularly bad luck in the past year and a half. When Debby hit, even though it was just a tropical storm, it dropped like 2 and a half FEET of water on us in some ridiculously short period of time, I think an hour. Libby weathered that fine, right up until a tornado developed on Island Estates, curved out into the Mandalay Channel, and headed for Caladesi Island, hitting nothing, except Libby. A piece of the mast foot gave way and the mast toppled. The only reason we were headed north to begin with was to take her to Crystal River, where her new mast and repairs awaited I chose to tow her up because her electric engine installation was unfinished,, I figured I'd finish it while the rest was being worked on. The boat I was towing her up there with developed an issue with the motor, which is why I dropped anchor on Libby there, she would have been perfectly fine there, and I would just come back and get her when I'd resolved the other boat's issue, ( turned out to be a fuse)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook