SailNet Community - View Single Post - Best Route: Great Lakes to East Coast?
View Single Post
Old 07-27-2013
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
Re: Best Route: Great Lakes to East Coast?

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain mike View Post
if everything goes the right way... a 62 footer... palmer and johnson cutter....ive been sailing since i was 13...my last boat was a pearson 424.... the proposed boat has 72 mile radar integrated with gps and weather... I'm retired now, headed to fla then maybe the Caribbean... summers will be back in the new england area
Pretty straightforward trip. The earlier responses on this thread will help. The Welland and Seaway locks are quite simple going downstream. With a boat your size you probably would want four capable line handlers including the captain. Highlights of the trip (more stars the better): North Channel **, Toronto *, Thousand Islands *, Montreal *, Quebec City **, Saguenay *, Magdalene Islands *, south coast of Newfoundland ****, Bras d'Or *, coast of Nova Scotia *. If it were me I would go fast in less interesting places eg overnight on lakes and save time for the interesting bits. You will go very fast down the St Lawrence which is great. You may get fog anywhere below Quebec City. When we there we saw a fog bank along the coast of Nova Scotia, sometimes it was 10 miles off sometimes it came ashore but it was always lurking.

Final thought, you may find it hard to get a dock for a 62 footer in many places. Have the relevant cruising guides and phone ahead about possibilities. There are guides for the lakes, St Lawrence, Newfoundland, and Nova Scotia. In Newfoundland anchoring can be difficult because of depths so that you usually tie up at the village dock (unless the ferry is due).