SailNet Community - View Single Post - What Is A Boat Really Worth?
View Single Post
Old 07-27-2013
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
Re: What Is A Boat Really Worth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark2gmtrans View Post
Julie, please do not let the ones who seem to think you need to rush to spend thousands of dollars of YOUR money to purchase a boat before you know enough about it to make a good decision influence you.
I don't think anyone here advised Julie to just "make an offer" on any old, crappy boat. In fact, in my posts I said that I totally respect her desire to make a smart purchase. What I, and some others have said, is that she's gone to the total other end of the spectrum into total inaction.

There are an awful lot of boats on the market, even of the type that Julie is looking for, and in all this time, they've only looked at four boats. They're at/near the Great Lakes, where there are scads of large, sweet water boats with low hours on them. I could be wrong, but I would think that a serious buyer would have at least physically visited many more boats by now.

She's having more fun tweaking paperwork and studying the boat buying process instead of actually examining boats.

Yes, yes, we're all well aware by now, of your impeccable buying and selling credentials. We've all read your epic tale of how you bested a car dealership at their own game after days and days and long nights of negotiations. Congratulations.

Plenty of your knowledge does apply to buying large sailboats and some of it probably does not apply.

I really was done with commenting on this thread, but I felt that I was implicitly being lumped into the "just do it" category, incorrectly.

Really, I don't see how one could accurately compile a spreadsheet merely by sitting on the sofa, without visiting many sailboats to get a true sense of the interior/exterior dimensions, equipment, prices, conditions, etc. Raw numbers from the internet do not accurately translate into how you feel when you stand inside the boat.

If I were buying an SUV, I would visit many dealers while compiling my spreadsheet, instead of just sitting at home reading about them on the web.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook